Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Proposal: Elephants and Limos

It was a Wednesday night and I was supposed to meet my boyfriend at his house, about an hour and a half away, to depart on a long weekend away with my family.  I left work early and didn't tell him, thinking the surprise would be on him.  He called me while I was on my way, and I admitted how far I was.  He asked me what I wanted for dinner because he was going to pack sandwiches for the road.  I requested a PB&J.  A little further along, he called me again asking where I was.  I got to his house, just about right on time.  I walked in saying "Honey, I'm home!"  He hollered "in here" from the living room.  The first thing I saw as I rounded the corner was a slide show of black and white pictures of us.  In the background, I could hear the song "Marry Me" by Train and I could smell the lilies that were on the coffee table.  He finally came into my view, in a suit on one knee.

My initial reaction was "No, this isn't happening here."  He asked me to sit down on the couch, where to one side of me he had thoughtfully put a box of tissues.  He read me his profession of love from a Congratulations on Your Engagement card, that he later gave to me as a keepsake.  When it came time to ask the important question, he pulled a custom made mahogany box out of a porcelain elephant dish (I collect elephants).  The box had the last 5 lines of his proposal and two elephants kissing on the top.  Inside, it had the date and said "Marry me beautiful, I will love you forever."  Once I stopped crying, I was able to see the ring: a beautiful round solitaire with pave stones in the band.

Elephants Magnetic Kissing Salt & Pepper Shaker Set


The night was not over!  We popped some champagne and he took me upstairs to show me the color he had painted what would now be our bedroom.  Hanging from the closet door was a selection of three new black dresses with a pair of my black heels sitting on the floor.  I picked out one of the dresses to wear and a limo came to take us to dinner.  We had a private room reserved for us and we took some time to call our families.  After dinner, we went to the bar where we first met, and then to a hotel where he had scattered rose petals and had an edible arrangement waiting.  I couldn't have asked for a better day or a better fiance.



We departed on our vacation the next day and celebrated all weekend long with my family.

- Still waiting for my PB&J, Massachusetts

No comments:

Post a Comment